Career Lifestyle

When we’re younger, we usually have some idea of what we want to be when we grow up. Starting at a young age, we are influenced by make-believe  – We play as chefs in toy kitchens and doctors treating our parents with a plastic stethoscope.

As we become more autonomous, we are largely influenced by our parents and our favourite characters from books, TV, and movies. My siblings wanted to be farmers, like my mom and dad. I, on the other hand, took inspiration from the best movie in the entire world… Twister (not joking). Despite living in the middle of mountainous Quebec, I walked around with a clipboard and pen glued to my hands. I was “recording weather patterns” and waiting for that next big storm. I was eight years old.

To this day, I have yet to see a tornado, and my ideal career has changed (sometimes the work day makes me feel like I’m chasing tornadoes). I am happy with where my career has landed me so far. But how did I go from wanting to chase tornadoes at 8 years old, to yearning for my first office job at 20, and eventually landing it at 24?

Do you want the good answer or the bad answer first?

The Bad Real Answer. I wasted a lot time in post-secondary programs that didn’t motivate me or make me happy, but came out of the situation with a better idea of who I was as a person and what kind of career I wanted.

The Good Answer. I started thinking about what my strengths were, and how I could apply them to something I already liked to do… Organization and Planning.

Now that we’ve grown up

I started post-secondary education in a program I wasn’t 100% in love with, because I thought it would help me find the perfect job. It did in the end! But only by pushing me towards pursuing Office Administration studies.

Not everyone will have to struggle through years of school to discover what kind of career they want. Plenty of people fall into a program that they end up loving. Others will hit the ground running right out of high school. The important thing is that we take the time to consider what makes us happy and how we can turn our passions into a successful career.

If you’re at a stage in your life where you are starting to think about what kind of career you want, or you’re re-evaluating your career goals, take some time to ask yourself the following five questions:

Choosing a career isn’t always as straight forward as answering 5 questions and putting a plan to action. Sometimes life gets in the way, and that is totally 100% normal. Motivation and a strong drive to chase our passions is what keeps us going. Finding a career that feeds your soul isn’t about the money (unless money is your passion, in which case have at it). It’s about turning what you love into a way to live.

What are you passionate about? Let me know in the comments section below. If you like what you’re reading, there’s lots more to come. Please follow me on social media by using the icons to the right, and subscribe to the blog to stay up to date on all things Earth to Reception. Thank you for reading!

Until next week,

Jenny

32 Comments

1. Keri

December 22, 2017 at 8:37 am

Finding something you are passionate about is so important in finding a job you like!

2. Cynthia

December 22, 2017 at 8:39 am

Hi Jenny. I had he exact same experience in thing to find a career and not just a job. I am currently going to school, taking an admin assistant progrem. Your blog is really inspirational, keep it up.

3. Shelley

December 22, 2017 at 8:41 am

Jenny, I love your blog. It’s amazing. I can’t wait to follow you on this journey.

4. Tracey

December 22, 2017 at 8:45 am

Hi Jenny! I look forward to your blog every Friday. I’m become a big fan. I used to stress about Fridays, now I can’t wait for them.

5. Katherine

December 22, 2017 at 9:57 am

I wish I had read this when I was 18! I remember when I was 13, I wanted to be a journalist, but I was pushed away from it because “you won’t make any money”. I got a degree in Communications, and it’s taken me 6 years to decide to go back to writing (hello, blogger world!)

6. candy

December 22, 2017 at 10:08 am

Wonderful ideas for those just starting out with their careers. Even those wanting to change careers. Not always about making money it is about doing what you love and enjoy.

7. Belle

December 22, 2017 at 10:58 am

These are such great questions! Some of these I did ask myself when I was younger!

Belle | One Awesome Momma

8. Joan Cajic

December 22, 2017 at 12:29 pm

These are really great questions and being passionate and really loving what you do will make finding a career easier and better at the end of it all.

9. Katrina

December 22, 2017 at 12:54 pm

It is so difficult to find a career that fits right out of highschool, this infographic is great and the article really is the truth.

10. Aashima

December 22, 2017 at 3:48 pm

There is nothing better that loving what you do and doing what you love. That makes life so much easier and fun.

11. ashvin

December 22, 2017 at 6:55 pm

This is a great infographic and advice. I teach students who always ask me advice on what they should do. I’ll definitely pass this unto them! Thank you!!

12. Ana De- Jesus

December 22, 2017 at 8:22 pm

I agree that it is so important to find a career that you are passionate about and like you said ‘feeds your soul’. I quit my full time job to pursue blogging- which ‘fed my soul’ a few months ago and it was the best decision that I could have made. It made me much happier!

13. Denay DeGuzman

December 22, 2017 at 9:14 pm

I absolutely love your list of questions to ask yourself when trying to find a career that fits your goals and aspirations. But what’s great to keep in mind is that most people have several different careers during their working years. Unfortunately, sometimes what feeds the soul doesn’t adequately feed the bank account, and other times empty nesters have the financial freedom to delve into new projects and careers.

14. Susie

December 22, 2017 at 9:41 pm

Love the infographic as well as the title of this post. It’s sad though that sometimes a career that feeds your soul might not feed your stomach 🙁

15. Amanda

December 23, 2017 at 12:48 am

I think the most important question of all of these is the first, what are you passionate about? I have my Masters degree in something that I am not quite passionate about. I mean I like it and it is practical but if I could do it all over again I would definitely choose something less practical and what was expected of me and go with what I was/still am passionate about and enjoy doing, interior design!

16. Tilly

December 23, 2017 at 3:33 am

This is something I’ve been thinking about a lot recently, and I’ve started writing a post on, choosing the wrong degree. I wish I had thought about it properly before I had decided what to study because now, I want to study what my actual passion is and what I know I want to do as a career but it’s a bit harder now. Great post!

17. Andrea

December 23, 2017 at 9:08 am

It’s funny, when I first started blogging it was pure fun and then it turned into something more. i didnt ever think I would find something to do for a living that I was so passionate about and as you said feeds your soul.

18. sarah camille

December 23, 2017 at 1:38 pm

This is such a great breakdown and advice for people in college or about to go! I remember thinking about these things when I decided to get a degree in Communications.

19. Noelle Lynne

December 23, 2017 at 1:46 pm

This is fantastic advice, I have a friend this will help right now!

20. Kelly Hutchinson

December 23, 2017 at 1:51 pm

I wish I would have focused on my strengths and passions when I was younger when choosing a career. It would have saved me a lot of headaches!

21. Ashley

December 23, 2017 at 4:55 pm

What a great list! Going to share with my son as he is getting closer to college so this would help him decide a direction

22. Claudia Krusch

December 24, 2017 at 12:36 am

This is a great post for my Son. He is off to College in September. He is trying to decide what direction he wants to go in. I will have to share this with him.

23. Savannah Pham

December 24, 2017 at 3:53 am

Being in my early 20’s, I think this is something I struggle with. I always question myself because my future career is still undecided and I’m almost finishing school. It scares me!

24. Dawn @ Our Food Fix

December 24, 2017 at 9:38 am

Finding a career that fulfills you is one of the most challenging yet rewarding tasks. These are great tips!

25. Blair villanueva

December 25, 2017 at 10:36 pm

This is a perfect post for many of us who wants to switch and search for a new career this 2018! Thanks for sharing very insightful post.

26. Jennifer L

December 26, 2017 at 1:17 am

Really great article and definitely poignant as we approach a new year. I’m a firm believer of creating a plan of what our goals are so we know we’re on the right path careerwise.

27. Ruth I.

December 26, 2017 at 8:02 am

Great questions to ask ourselves. I can say that my current job is really far from what course I took on college. My interest changed completely.

28. LavandaMichelle

December 26, 2017 at 11:59 am

I was once told, “if you do what you love you never work ad ay in your life”. My dreams as a child has finally came, I’m a writer slay blogger and I love it.

29. Melina

December 26, 2017 at 11:49 pm

Finding your career pathway can sometimes be daunting task! I love the five questions to ask yourself. Sometimes what we want to do, does not always align with what we are good at!

30. Jessica Taylor

December 27, 2017 at 10:51 am

This is such a great post. Finding a career is so difficult these days.

31. Bobbi

December 27, 2017 at 3:04 pm

These are some very important questions. So many times we get stuck in jobs that we just don’t want to be in or that there is no growth in.

32. Leo T. Ly

December 31, 2017 at 11:59 pm

I always find the three strengths and weaknesses question difficult to answer and practice before an interview. The other questions are great to give some thoughts to too.