Career Lifestyle

Merry belated Christmas and happy early New Year, everyone! It’s time to break out the old “See you next year” dad quip, because we are nearing the end of 2017. Crazy to think how fast 365 days can fly by.

With this time of year comes a panic to plan our resolutions, but before I even begin to think about 2018, I’d like to take the opportunity to reflect on 2017. I thought what better way to reflect than to share with you guys, so I’m laying it all out there! Career, Health, and Home.

2017

In 2017, I wanted to see if I could really push myself by finding a full time administrative position, losing 50 pounds, and moving into a bigger home. Spoiler alert – I did not lose 50 pounds. I’m just going to chalk that up the the fact that Bread and cheese are so good.

Career

At the start of 2017, I was working 6 days a week and technically still considered part-time in the company I work for. I was trying really hard to show upper management that I was serious about my position and, ultimately, this was the best decision I could have made. A few months into the year, I achieved my first goal – Getting a full-time job (And with the same amazing company, too!).

I am extra proud of myself for this one, because it’s my first ever big-girl job. I’ll even admit that I got a little teary-eyed this Christmas, because I was finally able to afford special gifts for my entire family. They had to open all of their presents on the 23rd of December… I was too excited to wait for the 25th.

Health

Let’s not even go there. On the plus side, I did manage to sign up for the gym for the first time in my life. As a true introvert, gyms are my worst nightmare. Thankfully, a friend signed up with me. You should have seen us plank for an entire 9 seconds. It was great.

Sadly, we lost motivation about a month into our membership and are still paying the monthly fees. We aren’t the only ones, right guys?

Home

I moved house for the first time in my life, and oh my goodness it was quite the job. That being said, I am so happy where I am right now. My boyfriend and I, along with the BF’s mom and the two puppies (full grown puppies) moved out of our tiny two bedroom town home in the downtown core.

While it was super convenient to have everything close by, we wanted something bigger. So we moved out of the city and into the suburbs. We now have all of the room we need, and we are in much better spirits because we actually all have our own space to de-stress at the end of the day.

2018

2018 is definitely going to be the year of weight loss, which is such a cliche resolution. After stuffing myself like a Christmas Turkey during the holiday season, it’s time to head back to the gym. My goal is to set a clear workout plan and stick to it. I really want to lose those 50 pounds.

I also want to work on not caring so much about what others think of me. Don’t get me wrong, I welcome constructive criticism with open arms, but I have always struggled with worrying about how I am perceived by the people around me.

Finally, I really want to see how far I can grow with this blog. This is a personal promise to all my readers to always make content that I am proud to show off to you, because you deserve it!

Now I want to hear from all of you! Let me know in the comments below how you did with your 2017 goals/resolutions!

Did anyone sign up for a gym membership and manage to go all year?

What do you want to work on in 2018?

As always, thank you for reading. I welcome you to please subscribe, using the box to the right, so that you don’t miss out on any future posts. You can also find me on Facebook, Instagram, Bloglovin, and Pinterest @earthtoreception.

See you all next year (haha),

Jenny

23 Comments

1. Erika

December 29, 2017 at 7:51 am

I can totally relate to the struggle you had in 2017 with the gym! I live in FL, so this year I am focused on getting my exercise outside. Happy 2018!

2. Kate

December 29, 2017 at 8:06 am

This sounds like you really accomplished a lot this year, even if you didn’t hit all of your goals!

3. Katie Kelly

December 29, 2017 at 11:23 am

I signed up for a gym membership a few months ago, and I love it! I want to start incorporating a more wholesome, less processed diet to go hand in hand with my workout routine.

4. Destiny Lalane

December 29, 2017 at 12:52 pm

You would cringe if I told you how much money I’ve spent (aka lost) in unused gym memberships due to my fear of being at a gym. I giggled at the line where you said you planked for 9 seconds as I found it VERY relatable. That’s a success to me! I still struggle with working out consistently but have successfully discovered a way of eating (I don’t like the term diet) that works best for me. I’ve been a vegetarian for 14 years and am going to transition back into eating meat again this year. Following paleo principals really helped me with my cravings and binge eating habits I once had (SOMEONE GET ME SOME JOLLY RANCHERS STAT). My partner runs a website called paleohacks.com and I’ve found the resources to be low pressure and easy to apply in my daily life if you’re ever looking for recipe inspiration. I’m very excited to have stumbled across your blog and look forward to following your experience and learning from you!

5. Joan Cajic

December 29, 2017 at 1:12 pm

I stopped saying that I will start going to the gym next year because it never happened, I think I would workout for the first three weeks and that was it as much as I wanted to motivate myself, I never succeeded. This year I am putting out no resolution or goals and literally following my impulses as I go.

6. anosa

December 29, 2017 at 3:36 pm

this year, I definitely want to work on accepting constructive criticism. I think this is something I want to take on into the new year. I have a couple other goals I want to work on but they’re private.

7. Amber Myers

December 29, 2017 at 7:27 pm

Here’s to a fabulous 2018! I don’t blame you, cheese usually gets me too! Yum.

8. Patricia-Ann Que

December 29, 2017 at 10:13 pm

wow u have done a lot for 2017! got a few goals here but im sure it will take time for me to complete them!

9. Lois Alter Mark

December 30, 2017 at 9:31 am

I’m with you on the weight loss goal although I feel like I also have that same goal every year. Hopefully 2018 will be a year of healthy, happiness and success for all!

10. Amanda Miss Panda

December 30, 2017 at 12:17 pm

Career, health, home – you have it all and that is an accomplishment already to have it planned out. Wish you good health and happiness in 2018!

11. Marissa Hammers

December 30, 2017 at 2:55 pm

Congrats on your new home. Its always nice to finally find a place you can really relax and settle in.

12. Katrina

December 30, 2017 at 8:48 pm

It’s refreshing to see achievable goals. Good luck and good health this year! Keep up the wonderful blog 🙂

13. Agentszerozerosetter

December 31, 2017 at 8:59 am

Happy new year dear! Wish you all the best, may all your dreams come true!

14. Angela Bethea

January 1, 2018 at 3:51 am

It’s that time of the year again for resolutions and new beginning. Good luck and happy New year!

15. Leah Klein

January 1, 2018 at 7:51 am

Love this recap- and no you are not the only ones 😉 !

16. Ankitaa

January 1, 2018 at 10:06 am

I love this so much! Keep up the good work and happy new year! <3

17. Aduke Schulist

January 1, 2018 at 1:21 pm

We were talking about the whole “See you next year” joke on our way to church Sunday. My son said he hoped nobody said it because it was dumb lol

18. Irena

January 1, 2018 at 2:49 pm

I’m glad you had a good year. I hope this year it will move in that direction, too. Regarding the gym, I’m totally same as you and I did it probably a hundred times. Later I stopped doing that and gave myself small goals, which is to work out every day for 15 minutes. Sometimes it’s just stretching and the other times a bit more. But it’s better than nothing, right?:-)

19. Jelena

January 2, 2018 at 4:45 am

I wish you a lot of success in 2018, especially with weight loss. I dreamed tonight that the summer starts in February, and I’m still fat. Let’s go! Congratulations on moving to a new home.

20. Jessica Taylor

January 3, 2018 at 10:01 am

I hope 2018 is even better than 2017! Congratulations on such a great year!

21. Kitty

January 3, 2018 at 7:36 pm

Wow you have done soo much in 2017… congratulations on your be home ☺️👍🏻… it just a best thing to see achievable goals and wishing you a good luck and good health this year ☺️❤️

22. Laura

January 5, 2018 at 6:05 pm

My only goal for the year is to hopefully get a new car! I had a lemon that has been a pain in the ass for years! Other than that, I’m aiming to drop about 20-30 pounds. I’m lucky though because there’s a gym in my office so I’m not spending money on a membership and not going out to eat. Btw loving this blog 🙂

23. Christiana Acha

January 28, 2018 at 8:30 am

I also had some goals for 2017 which I achieved and some I did not achieve, hopefully this year will be way better.